PuTTY is a free ssh client that runs under Windows; you can use it to
connect to Riddler as follows:
- Go to the PuTTY web site at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/.
- Click on Download.
- In the list of programs available for download, click on the first one
(putty.exe). Choose Open instead of Save. This will run PuTTY.
- When the PuTTY window comes up, type riddler.roanoke.edu in the
Hostname box, choose SSH (instead of Telnet), and click Open. You should
get a login prompt for riddler.
- Log in to riddler as usual. After logging in you may need to
set your terminal type by typing the following to the prompt:
- You are now in a shell on riddler and can execute the usual shell
commands. You can also run emacs, but it will come up in this same
window. Edit your file, save your changes, and exit emacs to get
back to the shell. The emacs menu will be visible but not
available, so you'll need to use the key shortcuts. For a refresher
on these, see